A LIFETIME OF FIGHTING FOR US!
A LIFETIME OF FIGHTING FOR US!
Vote in the Democratic Primary on Tuesday, September 12th
Protecting Our Parks
- Led the fight against a Home Depot and by working with Mayor Bloomberg secured the 6-acre Elmhurst Park on the former Elmhurst Gas Tanks site.
- Advocated on behalf of the community during the design phase of Elmhurst Park. Made sure it was a passive park as per the wishes of residents.
- Advocated for the protection of the Ridgewood Reservoir, and helped convince the city to drop its plan to destroy natural areas.
- A member of the Save Flushing-Meadows Corona Park coalition, formed to protect Queens' flagship park from private development.
- Worked with Councilman Tom Ognibene to oversee the total reconstruction of Juniper Valley Park. Designed current layout for Juniper Upper Ball Fields.
- Founded the Juniper Park Conservancy which helps maintain Juniper Valley Park and sponsors the park's Summer Concerts Series for the last 15 years.
- Installed maintenance garage and safety netting for playground near upper ball fields in Juniper Park. Successfully fought to have the Juniper Valley Park hockey rink built away from nearby homes.
Ensuring Public Safety
- Led fight to have 104th Pct cops pulled from Shea Stadium assignment to get them back in our neighborhood.
- Successfully fought for additional police officers for the 104th Precinct.
- Worked with the NYPD to stop drug dens and close houses of prostitution.
- Received grant for 69th Street traffic study conducted by Transportation Alternatives.
- Forced Con Edison to eliminate dangerous exposed wiring on Middle Village and Maspeth light poles.
- Worked with Queens Dept of Transportation for safety improvements in Maspeth, Middle Village, Glendale and Ridgewood.
Maintaining Quality of Life
- Petitioned for a change in Zip code for part of South Elmhurst to Middle Village, 11379.
- Successfully pushed for additional sound barriers on the L.I.E. from just east of 69th street to 75th Street.
- Initiated Safe Halloween program where local merchants agree not to sell eggs and shaving cream to minors. Program has been expanded citywide.
- Forced Fox-TV to remove offensive billboard on Eliot Avenue near Our Lady of Hope Church.
- Exposed roofing scam targeting senior citizens in Maspeth, Middle Village and Elmhurst. As a result over $15,000 has been refunded so far to seniors.
- Helped eliminate truck route from Grand Avenue in new truck management plan.
- Designed, supervised installation and maintenance of over 150 September 11th Memorial street banners which were displayed for 10 years in Middle Village and Maspeth.
- Implemented a more thorough liquor license application process to identify and address potentially harmful business practices
Promoting Proper Zoning & Development
- Through Community Board 5, led the fight to downsize a huge Admiral Ave. development.
- Formed overdevelopment task force to downzone Maspeth, Glendale and Middle Village.
- Stopped dozens of nonconforming new houses from being constructed in Middle Village and Maspeth.